How to Upgrade or Convert your Company File to a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop ?
Before you begin upgrading, make sure you have already installed your new version of QuickBooks Desktop software. You can then upgrade your company file to work with the new version.
Only the Admin user can update the QuickBooks company file
If you are the only user in your company file, then you are already the administrator. Otherwise, you will need to sign into the “Admin” user to continue with these steps.
If you are not the administrator and you try to update your company file, you will receive the message, “The company file needs to be updated. Please ask your QuickBooks administrator to update the file.” This means you need to switch to the Admin user and try again.
DO NOT upgrade your QuickBooks Company File over a network
It is NOT advisable to upgrade the file while stored on a network or a mapped drive. This may make the conversion unstable and puts the file at risk of being damaged. Instead, the QuickBooks Desktop company file must be saved locally on the computer you are accessing it from.
Upgraded QuickBooks Data File cannot be opened in previous versions
Once you convert the file to a newer version, older versions of QuickBooks will not be able to open it.
However, QuickBooks Desktop automatically backs up your data file before upgrading it, in case you need to revert to the older version. You can always restore this backup with your old version of QuickBooks Desktop if necessary. Or, if the conversion process is interrupted for any reason, you can restore the backup with your new version of QuickBooks Desktop to restart the upgrade.
Enterprise company files only work in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise editions
You can convert/upgrade a file from Pro or Premier to Enterprise. However, the file can no longer be opened in Pro or Premier after the conversion/upgrade.
Files created from Enterprise editions cannot be converted to QuickBooks Pro or Premier.
Tips and tricks to ensure a smooth upgrade of your QuickBooks company file:
Few things you may want to try for the previous version of QuickBooks Desktop before upgrading your company file to the newer version.
- Rebuild and verify your data file.
- If verify fails, use the Qbwin.log file to locate and resolve error messages.
- After the upgrade is finished, ensure that the converted data file is in good shape by running the Verify Data utility. If this fails, repeat step 2.
Upgrading your QuickBooks company file
- Launch your new version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Choose File > Open or Restore Company.
- Click Open a company file, then click Next.
- Browse to your data file and click Open.
Note: If the Move Company File window appears, follow the instructions shown.
- Read the info in Update Company File for New Version pane. Check the box to signify you understand, then click Update Now.
- Follow the instructions on how to back up your file. Note where you put it.
- When the message, “You are about to open a company file using a newer version of QuickBooks…Do you want to continue?” appears, click Yes.
- Once the file is updated: (recommended)
- Store the backup you created in a safe location until you are certain you won’t need it again.
- If you copied the data file from another computer to update it, copy it back again.
- If you cannot find your data file in its original location and if it is not in the specified folder, search your hard drive for *.qbw files.
Note: Ensure that you include hidden files and folders in your search criteria.
- If you have QuickBooks Desktop Payroll (US) attached, verify your payroll service by signing into your account by going to Employees > My Payroll Service > Account Info / Preferences.
Source: Quickbooks Community forums.
Disclaimer: Quickbooks Accounting Solution is an independent provider of Quickbooks Related services and is not affiliated with Quickbooks.
See More: Support for this issue is available either by self-service or paid support options. Experts are available to resolve your Quickbooks issue to ensure minimal downtime and continue running your business. First try to resolve the issue yourself by looking for a resolution described below. If you are experiencing too many issues, you may want to more info Call Quickbooks Support Phone Number